Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Preamble

Like any good traveler it pays to be prepared. I like to think that I'm a good traveler. Always ready early, never the procrastinator tapping my foot, arms folded, while I wait for the rest of the world to catch up. Apparently this is not so. It all began a few months ago when I decided to get a jump on things and purchase some gifts to bring along to Poland. What does one bring to Poland that my new found relatives might appreciate? I thought hard about this and decided pretty quickly the things I would not be bringing. You know, Mrs. T's Pierogi, Hillshire farms Kielbasa or anything labeled "geniune Polish sausage". Armed with these thoughts, I set about trying to find items uniquely American. One of my first thoughts: lump of dirt from Yankees stadium, about $250.00 for about 10oz of dirt in a nice decorative baseball case. Bad idea, too expensive and what would the folks think when I presented them with a lump of good ol' American dirt. Besides while the dirt was made here, the case, "Made In China." Go figure. Next I found some nice patriotic wear. Priced right at 2 for $20.00 surely this was a good deal until I examined the label, "Hecho en Mexico". While we share the continent with our fine neighbor down south, not quite the same. All kidding aside, I did manage to get a few things to bring along that I'm sure all will be happy with. Perhaps my good friend Bogdan, who will be meeting us when we arrive in Vienna, put it best. He said "Bill, stop worrying. YOU are the gift to us and WE are the gift to YOU. " "Bring a bottle of American wine. I'll give you Austrian and then on Monday we drive to Poland." I think he is right. I'm now relaxed, with a nice calm aura about me. With just about 24 hours till departure, I've got to pack,cut the grass, see Mom,inform the folks at my Mom's residence of my plans,shop for last minute items,pack,water the lawn, finish cleaning the pool,pack and well that's about it I think. I did say pack, didn't I ? Whew, it sure does feel good to not procrastinate!! I do need to think about dinner. All this non-procrastination makes me hungry. Maybe I'll just pick up a package of Mrs T's on my way home from work!!

No comments: