Thursday, May 21, 2009

A LONG DAY INDEED



The sun sets over the the lower Tatras as we make our way back to Dolina Chocholowoska after our long day in Krakow,Auschwitz and Wadowiesce. I'm a day or two behind on the blog due mostly to internet interruption and human fatigue!! There is nothing really nice to say about Auschwitz so all I will say is that it is probably the ugliest example of mans inhumanity to man that I have ever seen. I'll move on. First I'd like to explain that one of the requirements of attaining 50 years+ in the priesthood is the development of the ability to not eat,drink or use the toalety for nearly 8 hours. Father Zubek has attained this. We had to laugh. Every time I mentioned the water closet, father said no! It took me almost 8 hours to figure out that he thought that I was asking if HE had to use the bathroom. Only after I started to do the PP dance did we finally find the WC and relief. Krakow is a beautiful city. An architectural wonder. Our highlight was The Cathedral Wawelowska. Sitting within the castle on Wawel hill it is a magnificent place. We even got inside for free as Father said something to the guard who originally was insisting that we purchase tickets but what ever Jan Zubek said to him was enough for him to sheepishly lower his head and step aside. Inside this cathedral were many sarcophagi of Polish nobility as well as former Bishops of Krakow dating to pre 14th century.Very gold and Hungarian marble, and even Russian paintings mostly depicting the apostles and Christ. These survived communism, Thank God! We were unable to take photos here. In Wadowiece we saw the birthplace of Pope John Paul 2 and every place he hung his hat from Wadowiece to Krakow!The Popes birthplace is also pictured in todays blog. I will write more soon

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Make it mandatory that every human being visit Auschwitz, that would bring some stability in the world.Keep showing the 911 film, once a week,lest we forget!

Bill said...

Yes,I agree, but unfortunately can only hope and pray that video bombardment would restore stability. It would be a good start though. The Stanley Kubrick film "Strawdogs" approaches this subject. I'm not sure I've got title and author correct, but I think I do. If you haven't seen the film, check it out. It speaks to your point.

dom-i-nika said...

hello, i'm from koniowka. but yet i'm studing in krakow. i'm really glad that you liked our beautifull krakow. and also koniowka.
and it is my grandmother who is an author of this book and site about koniowka. So... that's why i'm here,

wish u all the best and many more opportunities to visit your family in koniowka. // Dominika

Bill said...

Thank You Dominika for your nice comments. Now that I have been to Koniowka, I am sure to return. I owe a great gratitude to your Grandmother for all of her hard work that assisted me in finding my way to Koniowka.