Monday, September 29, 2008

"The Patch"

My Mom grew up in the "Patch". What's the Patch? Well in short, back in the days when coal was king all the miners and their families were housed in company built homes. These homes were all basically the same. Side by side duplexes constructed of clapboard, with a nice airy front porch and a modest commode of sturdy construction out back. Mom often comments these days about how they didn't have much, but life was good. She tells me that she was Grandma Franciska's favorite. That's quite an honor I tell her since Grandma F had seven others from which to choose. "Well", she says, "anytime Mom needed something from the store she would call me in Polish." Kaczmirka, I think I'm not spelling that correctly, but say it as it sounds, and you'll have a good understanding as to how it would have sounded. Off to the company store she would go. Smiling all the way, not a care in the world, except to do some good. If you know my Mom, you know that this is her finest attributes.

Yes, life in the patch must have been good. Simple,but good. Considering Grandpa Joe mined the coal for H.C.Frick,who owned the store as well as held the mortgage on the house. This home remains in the family to this day nearly one hundred years later!

For some nostalgic fun today, Google this: "Buffington Coke Works" .While you visit the old miner you will see updated information regarding Grandpa Joe and some photos of "The Patch". I am grateful to Mr. Washlaski the editor/historian and Penn State University/Fayette for including the information I was able to provide. The information basically is who the actual owner was of Coal Patch House #95. My Mom and the other nine members of her household lived at #92. Three houses down!!

I'm glad that my sleuthing was helpful. It feels really good. Maybe I share one of my Moms attributes?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the Buffington Patch site, Patty and Cook were raised in house #95 Gene

Bill said...

With a little bit of research, we can find anything! Our folks never really talked much about their family history. I don't know why. The funny thing for me is that our cousin, Zosia's father, who would be about 10 years younger than my Mom, said: "All I know is that before WW1 they left and never returned to Poland" He was of course talking about his uncles, one of which is our Grandfather. He shares the same name and was named after his uncle, our Grandfather Joseph Planiczska. I'm glad you got to the coalminer info, it's a great site and a credit to PSU for building it into a bonafide tribute to those who built our country via the industrial revolution. We, would not be here were it not for them. Thanks Gene, God Bless,~Bill