Friday, September 26, 2008

Discovering Anna

Place yourself at the time of your youth. A teen, seventeen to be exact. Crossing the great Atlantic ocean. Children staring bright eyed at the billowing smoke stacks of the ship. The biggest vessel you have ever seen for sure. Perhaps the group of boys huddled in the bow are ogling you. Teasing each other, daringly. Who would be the bravest to sheepishly approach you to ask your name. You are after all a very beautiful young woman. Setting out on your own for a new world, A better place, as they've said. You are more than likely a bit scared and excited at the same time. What about home? Alone on a huge boat with five hundred other people. Strangers all. What will your Mother and Father do without you? Will you ever see them again? You begin to cry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you shed some more details on who Anna is. Remember, I'm half polish. ~Gina R. (Gene's daughter)

Bill said...

Anna is my Dad's Mother. She died at the tender age of 34. She died from tuberculosis in 1927. My Dad was 11 when she died. I am 1/2 Polish too! My Dad was Ukrainian. Truthfully though, we are,as a connected family, all Galician. Your Grandparents on your Dad's side,both sets maternal and paternal,were from this area as well. The kingdom of Galicia is of course long gone. I have information to guide you in researching both your Grandma and Grandpa and would be very happy to help you in pursuing that endevour. On a side note, I'm elated that someone has finally responded to the Anna blog entry! Thank You! When I am back, we can look into the geography of just where these folks came from. I would like that. Thanks again, ~Bill

Anonymous said...

I am also part Ukrainian. Ha! I never heard of the term Galician. that will be interesting to learn about. ~Gina