Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A SYMBOL



A symbol of tranquility. A symbol of frailty. A symbol of remembrance. A symbol of gratitude and thanks. The Cross of Jesus passed down from Jan Planiczka to son Maciej, to grandson Jozef,displayed in the family home until this day. The bell tower, a chapel and multi purpose structure in remembrance of those who founded and went forth from this small Galician hamlet. I am one from the fourth generation. With tranquility I look upon this structure in awe. In awe for what it means. This structure, a replacement for the original which burned down of unknown means, replaces the original which stood for centuries. For centuries it stood as its purpose intended. To protect and warn of immanent danger approaching. Many small towns in southern Poland,Slovakia and Ukraine have similar structures. They too have similar meaning. For me, I take solace and experience the warmth of my heritage. Knowing that Jan Planiczka along with Anna Gawlak his bride,my Great-Grandmother, brought forth not only a family, but contributed to building a culture of comfort, fortitude,compassion, unquestionable dignity,faith and the ability to persevere. This brings me to tranquility. I would hope this would effect you in the same way.

I haven't written in a few days. I want you to know, that I would like to continue and have every intent to do so. Circumstances as they are,have prevented me. The loss of Sally,our very best friend, to breast cancer,Vinnie a humble man and great friend, of yet whose death cause is unknown,and my cousin Tommy, a free spirited individual with a bright mind and wit. This was and is sad.

Life indeed is fragile. We do continue though. From my earliest documentation, I know that we are a frail people. As descendants we do move on with the rest of mankind though. We have seen many family pass. Yet our heritage continues.

Four Hundred years. Koniowka, Jan Planiczka, God Bless

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What cousin Tommy ?